Asian Fusion Grilled Beef Lo Mein
The nice weather usually has me cooking outside most of the summer. Here’s an Asian-Fusion recipe I put together that’s easy to make and tastes just as good with chicken as it does with beef. We love steak at our house and this has become a highly requested dish.
12 oz spaghetti
1-1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
2 T peanut oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 T ginger root, minced
5 cups mixed fresh vegetables (we typically use a mix of red pepper, snow peas, brocolli and/or mushrooms but use whatever mix you like)
1-1/2 pounds flatiron steak (give or take, we always error on the heavy side
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 T dark brown sugar
1-1/2 T oyster sauce
1-1/2 T sambal oelek or red chile paste (adjust to suit your taste)
Substitute Grilled Chicken
1) Fill large stock pot with enough lightly salted water to cook the spaghetti and bring to boil. While water is heating, pre-heat your grill to high (approx. 500°F)
2) When water comes to a boil, add spaghetti and cook through but firm to the bite, about 7-9 minutes; drain. Set stock pot with spaghetti on a hot pad and drizzle sesame oil over the spaghetti; toss to coat. Put lid on the stock pot to keep the noodles warm.
3) Grill flatiron steak to medium-rare/medium (approximately 12 minutes, or more if you prefer but don’t overcook the steak). When steak is finished, place on a clean, oven-safe plate and put it in the oven or microwave until the juices set (about 5 minutes) then cut into bite-sized pieces and put them back in the juice until Step 6.
4) For sauce: mix soy sauce, brown sugar, oyster sauce, and chile paste together in a small bowl and pour over the spaghetti right AFTER you finish the next step.
5) Heat the peanut oil in an oversized skillet or large wok. Cook and stir garlic and ginger in hot oil until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mixed vegetables; cook and stir until crisp tender, about 3 minutes.
6) Dump spaghetti, beef (with juice) and sauce mixture into the skillet or wok with the vegetables and steak; cook and stir until the spaghetti is hot, 2 to 3 minutes.